John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!

Aric! Just tried using my &W ASW 855 Subwoofer which I've

Customer Question

Hello Aric! Just tried using my B&W ASW 855 Subwoofer which I've had about five years, but no sound. It powers on with a green light so the fuses must be good; tried a few different sources for input with different RCA cables; tried your idea about touching the RCA contacts and still no noise or sound at all. I see you suggested the output transistor stage might be faulty. How can I switch this for a new one? I can I test whether this is in fact the case? Thank you for your help!!
Michael New York
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

Hi Michael and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. With the indulgence of Aric and should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially and it has to be asked; are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello Louie and thank you for your response! First I'd like to see what the problem might be, and then I'll see if I am comfortable repairing anything myself. I do have a soldering iron but not a meter; I'll get one as I've always wanted to have one! I'll open the back of the subwoofer and see if it is easy to access the electronics. Thank you and please let me know if you have any experience with this particular model and which meter I should buy. Thank you!
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

Hi again Michael, my recollection yes; have done work on the ASW series including the 855 but years ago.

Still, please post back with clear pictures of the inside circuitry particularly the power transistors attached to the big aluminum heatsink and the circuit board its legs are connected to.

The above pictures would then serve as a common reference when pointing out test points or a particular component.

Most multi-meter brands/models would serve the purpose but it would be to your advantage to get a model that has a built-in transistor checker. Please click HERE.