Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

My Runco is about 10 years old and now has a line of about

Customer Question

My Runco is about 10 years old and now has a line of about one inch thick that runs down from the top of the screen about halfway down the screen. There is another line about 1/4 inch thick also about halfway down the screen. This is obviously failure. Can it be repaired or is it time to be rid of it?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Hello, Is this a Runco projector we're referring to, or a TV? Can you tell me the model number off of the back of the TV- if a TV?

Also, what colors are those lines- black or colored?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is a plasma not a projector. The larger line is white, the second is green and sometimes there is a third line that is purple I can't get to the back to provide you the model # ***** is on the wall
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You can call me at(###) ###-####Tim
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Pull up the set's native MENU. If the lines are over the MENU then you have either failed Sustain boards or the Plasma panel itself. The panel is not replaceable and the other boards are only available as used/pulled parts since Runco has not been in business for quite a few years (close to 10). If the MENU appears OVER those lines however, then your Mainboard has failed and needs to be replaced. Hard to give a quote without a model number, but on larger screens (42" or larger) the Sustain boards are close to $375 for the pair, and the Mainboard is closer to $250. That's parts ONLY. Add another $200 to the quote for labor.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

I don't use the phone call feature, and the site charges more for that anyhow. In addition to what I stated above, I'm going to assume the MENU is covered by those lines (since this is generally the case) and the other possible culprit aside from the Sustain boards is the Plasma display panel itself (with the back of the set removed a loud BUZZ can generally be heard when the display is failing). In that case the set is not repairable period- since the PDP is 80% of the cost of the TV when new and is not sold separately for resale.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

So unless you're looking to repair the set yourself (and I can search parts with the model number once you pull it down), then the set would not be cost effective to repair given a brand new 50" LED TV can be purchased for just over the average repair cost on an older Runco Plasma.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I looked at the native menu and the TV is a 61" there are no lines through the menu?
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

But are the lines in the same spot of the screen as the MENU? Or are they off to the sides of it?

What we need to know is if those lines appear OVER the MENU where the menu pops up- meaning they need to be in the same area of the screen.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, kewl! Thanks thats pretty much what I thought. Cheers!
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

You're welcome and best of luck with the set!
If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?