Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.

I exchanged my Forerunner 230 235. When I try and add the

Customer Question

I exchanged my Forerunner 230 for a 235. When I try and add the Forerunner 235 using Garmin Express, it does not recognize it. I did not have a problem with the 230, but I returned it. Can you help? This is very frustrating. I even created a new Garmin Connect account to bypass the fact that I cannot delete any of my devices. Thank you. Becky
Category: Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was unable to delete the Forerunner 230 device in order to add the Forerunner 235. Further, when I tried to add the 235, it could not be recognized by Garmin Express.I created another Garmin Connect account, thinking it would not get confused with my other devices (I have a Garmin Edge 810 as well). I have the same problem. Garmin Express cannot identify my new Forerunner 235. This occurs on both my desktop PC and laptop PC, both running Windows 10. Please keep in mind that I had not problem with 230 in completing the same process.I uninstalled/reinstalled Garmin Express; I made sure my USB hub was plugged in; I restarted my computer.Please help. I am in training and this is very frustrating for me to not be able to use my 235 device. Thank you. Becky
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi Becky,

Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Can the computer see the device?

Approximately how old is the 235?

If you haven't already done so, try using a different USB cable and let me know if that helps...

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The Forerunner 235 is brand new. Both my laptop ad desktop cannot see the device. I cannot use a different USB cable, as this one is especially designed for the device.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

is the device turned on?

Does the computer make any noise at all when you connect the device?

What all drives are showing in Computer?

Have you checked disk management?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The computer makes noise. I do not understand the meaning of "disk management" in terms of its management. I am wondering, however, if it is a software issue.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi Becky,

"Disk Management" is the software element of Windows that allows it to recognize what internal and external disks and storage devices are connected.

To access it, right-click the bottom-left corner (or Start button) on the desktop to open Quick Access Menu, and then choose Disk Management. Let me know what is showing there.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have 126 GB of memory remaining. Question: This is a Garmin product I am asking questions about. Are you familiar enough with the product I have mentioned? The metadata associated with this site actually listed Garmin Forerunner 235.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Yes I am familiar with this product.

I am not sure what metadata you are referring to.

What else shows in Disk Management? Does it show the connected Garmin device with or without a drive letter?