Russell A.
Russell A., Technician
Experience:  30 years of broadcast television, technical and engineering experience.
24675295

My dmc-tz1 has to be turned on and off to continue taking

Customer Question

My dmc-tz1 has to be turned on and off for it to continue taking pictures. this is annoying to do this for each picture. Is it worn out or what can be done to fix this? How much would it cost?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell A. replied 8 months ago.

Does the lens motion or zoom function appear to stick of "hang up" after you take a photo?

Are you still using the original battery that came with the camera?

Have you been using the same memory card for a long time is it or has it been filled near capacity since the last time it was formatted in the camera?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the lens does not stick; yes the same battery;no a different card

My first inclination was originally to assume that a lens error is the intermittent problem itself, but first, there are two more likely, possibilities, lack of sufficient power or the wrong memory card.

Remove the batteries, check the pins or connectors in the battery compartment, and make sure that they are positioned correctly to contact the battery. Then use a q-tip with alcohol to clean and dry them.

Next, the type and capacity of the card are very important. This older model camera is limited to SD cards of 2gb capacity or smaller. Please see the link below, Attempting to use one that is SDHC (4gb and up) will cause erratic operation and intermittent failures.

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/sd/connect/dsc/dmc_tz1.html

Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well. If the "do it yourself" approach doesn't work out for you and you need conventional repair, please let me know.

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.

If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate or has provided a reasonable alternative solution, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.

Thank you