Joe, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto, Marine and Home Electronics professional. iphone, bluray and home theater setup and repair.

Can non fire wire be used to connect the fire panel to a

Customer Question

Can non fire wire be used to connect the fire panel to a separate digital communicator?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Yes, non fire wire can be used but it would not pass regulations.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Joe replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

I am not sure I fully follow, firewire uses specific types of various connectors that only firewire is used for, it is not an obsolete product that cannot be obtained and is fairly easy to get ahold of. To use "firewire" requires certain connections that only firewire is used for and would require firewire type of connection and thus "firewire".

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What I really hoped to find out is what NFPA code specifically says communication circuits can not use anything but fire rated cable. Some fire alarm panels have female phone jacks in them that are designed to have regular telephone jacks plugged into them. Thus there is a communication wire right inside the panel that is definitely not fire rated. I found your service by requesting information on the NFPA code book. So that's what I am looking for. Thank you fellas for trying to answer my question, but if I could get a more specific answer based on the info above I would really appreciate it. Thank you Joe, Gene
Expert:  Joe replied 7 months ago.

Hi Gene,

Your question is in a general electronics category and did not include model specific info thus I thought you were speaking about "firewire" I did not know you were actually referring to "fire alarm" etc, equipment.

I do not have that info for you however I may suggest contacting your local fire marshal which should be able to provide that code to you most likely faster because I believe it may apply to code by area/city and not general.