Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

Here. Lightning t my Rittenhouse system. 3300 sq ft home 5

Customer Question

Hi: Jim here. Lightning hit my Rittenhouse system. 3300 sq ft home 5 br +5 baths kitchen game room formal dining + pool house. What can I do?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Please provide more details as I don't know what a Rittenhouse means?

2) Is the entire home without power or only 1 circuit?

3) Do you have an AC voltmeter available to confirm voltages?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Rittenhouse is the name brand. I'm told that Emerson bought them out some years ago. I can send pics but can't find model or serial numbers. I think Rittenhouse also makes vacuum systems? All circuits were out for 20 min then I reset all breakers. That one does not re-trip. I do have a voltmeter and there is 115v power coming to master. ??
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) I looked up Rittenhouse Emerson on the web and it appears they manufacturer many products. What specific product are you having problems with?

2) You mention a breaker does not re-trip. I assume the breaker is either a 15 or 20 amp single pole breaker, is that correct?

3) Please confirm, the problem is only on one circuit?

4) Is the circuit breaker an AFCI type that has a test button?

5) Do you also have wall receptacles that are dead?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1) Whole house Intercom system, music, etc. 2) 20 amp single pole. 3) Just that 1 circuit. 4) No test button . 5) All wall receptacles are active. It's in the main system of the Master Rittenhouse. Replacement costs???
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the replies.

1) Since lightning occurred, most likely the master unit electronics have been permanently damaged due to the excessive voltage.

I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open board to allow other experts to reply to the question. I do not have a background in the Emerson intercom systems, but I would think that a replacement master unit will cost around $400 to $500 plus installation/labor costs. Another option is to locate an electronics repair store and they should be able to bench test the unit and perhaps a repair may come in cheaper rather than purchasing a replacement unit.

No need to reply back to me. You will be notified once another expert picks up the question..........Thanks...........Kevin

Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. I suggest opening the unit and looking for a glass fuse. Replace it. Should the unit not work with the replacement, chances are the transformer is defective due to the lightning strike. Any radio repair shop can replace the transformer.