Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I've got a microphone, plugged into phantom power and

Customer Question

I've got a microphone, plugged into phantom power and plugged into a loudspeaker with the 3.5mm aux input, would like to use it to give a speech to a group but getting little to no sound from the speaker. I thought that once the mic was powered I would get a line level signal from the mic. The loudspeaker works fine with an iPod, etc plugged into that 3.5 mm input. What am I missing? Do I need a pre amp for the microphone to get any reasonable signal strength?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...microphone...phantom power..."

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
GLS Audio Vocal Microphone ES-58-S
-XLR to XLR
-InnoGear® 1- Channel 48V Phantom Power Supply
-XLR to 1/4" with 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter into powered speaker
-Ion Audio iPA30 Job Rocker Portable Heavy-Duty Bluetooth Speaker System
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

To my understanding, a GLS ES-58 is a cardioid mic and does not need a phantom power supply to work. A Phantom Power Supply would be needed with condenser type microphones.

Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

What is needed then is a mic pre-amp to boost the ES-58's low level to line level.