Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I've got a microphone, plugged into phantom power and

Customer Question

I've got a microphone, plugged into phantom power and plugged into a loudspeaker with the 3.5mm aux input, would like to use it to give a speech to a group but getting little to no sound from the speaker. I thought that once the mic was powered I would get a line level signal from the mic. The loudspeaker works fine with an iPod, etc plugged into that 3.5 mm input. What am I missing? Do I need a pre amp for the microphone to get any reasonable signal strength?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...microphone...phantom power..."

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
GLS Audio Vocal Microphone ES-58-S
-XLR to XLR
-InnoGear® 1- Channel 48V Phantom Power Supply
-XLR to 1/4" with 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter into powered speaker
-Ion Audio iPA30 Job Rocker Portable Heavy-Duty Bluetooth Speaker System
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

To my understanding, a GLS ES-58 is a cardioid mic and does not need a phantom power supply to work. A Phantom Power Supply would be needed with condenser type microphones.

Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

What is needed then is a mic pre-amp to boost the ES-58's low level to line level.