Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Pioneer audio amp. VSX-425. This amp, although old,

Customer Question

I have a Pioneer audio amp. VSX-425. This amp, although old, has served me well for many years. Recently it seems to have given up the ghost. As you know when you turn it on there is a small click which I assume is some sort of relay - the amp no longer does this. I am wondering if this is repairable and if so do you know of a place in the Penrith area who could handle it. Thanks .... Ray
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Hi Norma and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue or more particularly, possible suspects after a review of the Service Manual are:

• • auto-protect mode has kicked in delaying fully turning on (least likely);
  • • stuck open relay contacts (likely);
  • • low / slow voltage buildup / leaky capacitor (most likely).

All of the above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.

Please click HERE to inquire or call Ball Greg Electronics Pty Ltd (02) 4731 5661 (Unit 8/9-11 Abel St PENRITH NSW, 2750)