Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My volume control goes loud all by itself to full volume,I

Customer Question

hi David my volume control goes loud all by itself to full volume,I take the front of and replace it again I can then turn the volume down,but after a while it turns itself up again to full volume.I repeat the same procedure again and have done so for the past week,short of putting a new front on,which I am quite happy to do should they still be available ,and if that wouls solve the problem,thank you Elle
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome

Can you please get me the model number found on the back of the set ?

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry David the unit is under the dash of the Ute,and I would not have a clue how to get that out.
I pulled of the front part but it does not say anything.
the manual tells me it is a Multi CD control High power CD player with FM/AM tuner, super tunerIII DEH P3150
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi Elle and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue or more particularly, possible suspects after a review of the Service Manual are:

• • failed electronic volume/source selector (least likely);
  • • cold solder (likely);
  • • faulty + TACT switch (most likely).

All of the above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks Louie, not much use to me,know nothing about electronics ,woulnt know how to take radio out of car or dismember my radio ,so should perhaps spendt my $25 on buying a new radio.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

On "...woulnt know how to take radio out of car..." please click HERE for instructions on how to remove the unit.

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

...and HERE on the dis-assembly of the DEH-P3150

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks Louie,this suggest that I may be capable of technical knowledge,I am 75 years old and have no hope of clambering
around under the dash,looking for wires etc.
obviously if i was some rev head your help would be appreciated,sounds like I need a auto mechanic.
Ithought the problem may have been something simple like give it a squirt of ezy glide or wd,doesn,t sound to promising .
Elle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate your kind understanding Elle.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks Louie
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Good luck Elle and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Loui, thought you may wish to know ,when I popped the front cover of the radio again,I noticed some shiny contacts,
now having said to you I thought one could just spray it,well thats what I did with Inox,and believe it or not volume hasnt played up since, so after taking that front of everso many times ,it decided to behave.
this obviously is not technical,but felt I wished to share this with you,it may help someone else who is not technical,kind regards Elle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Great Elle! Good to hear that the issue has been resolved, congratulations.