Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

How can I make a double-ended <5mW Hand Held laser that

Customer Question

How can I make a double-ended <5mW Hand Held green laser that will rotate using my clamp and swivel. II would like to use anodized aluminum as the body with a simple 3/16" rubber push on/off button or a slide switch, and a accelerometer ( If that's the right chip to use ) so that as the laser rotates 360 degrees, the bottom laser turns off at 9:00 o'clock during the rotation and then the top laser turns on until it reaches 9:00 o'clock and the same on/off during the counter clock rotation. I would like to use stock/shelf products and just (1) CR2 3 volt battery since it would be only powering (1) circuit board at a time instead of (2), or can I use just (1) circuit board? I'm trying to make the unit as short as possible without compromising my run time on batteries. Thank you. Email to***@******.***
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

You could power this from 1 battery. That wouldn't be a problem. You could also run them from one circuit board - if one diode on the bottom and one diode on the top would be sufficient separation for what you are doing.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Michael,
Thank you for getting back to me. My other idea was to use a T clamp that would clamp on the steel rod that is running vertical and insert a laser using mirrors projecting vertically up-and-down out of two lenses running parallel with the steel rod but still using the same ferry on and off with a accelerometer chip, this way we can still use one circuit board and one battery. I am designing the clamp that needs to be 3 1/2 inches from center of diameter of the steel rod to center of the laser lens, top and bottom. I don't know any other information that I can proved at this point I am working with the University of Delaware, but if you have any questions please feel free to ask or call me at 302–559-3000 (cell).Respectfully,Geo Laskaris
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Michael,Basically I have no idea what you're talking about. Using one battery and one circuit board I understand, but what about the accelerometer and how do I project to vertical lasers in a five eights and diameter shell? Did you not receive my drawings? If not I can send them again but it's basically taking two lasers and unscrewing the end caps and re-threading or using the single laser with mirrors to project up and down projection of the laser at the points I stated earlier. The drawings I sent I thought would help you. There are two ways to accomplish this which I also stated in our previous text. If you need more diagrams please let me know.
Respectfully,Geo Laskaris
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Michael,
I did not receive your drawings. I apologize for the confusion. I basically had (2) two different ideas on how to proceed with this, one was putting (2) lasers together like you stated but had no idea how to wire and put the on/off button. The second idea was to use (1) shell with (1) diode and (1) battery having the laser hit the mirrors thus splitting the laser to project vertically and using a accelerometer just as I would on the first idea of retreading and putting (2) lasers end-to-end. I also sent you several pic's, did you receive any of them? If you would be so kind and resend your Diagrams it would be greatly appreciated. I thank you I advance. Respectfully, Geo