Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I dropped my Kindle Voyage with a cover on it about 3 feet.

Customer Question

I dropped my Kindle Voyage with a cover on it about 3 feet. It is frozen and nothing I have done has unfrozen it. I have held the power button down multiple times and charged it all to no avail. Any suggestions or is it "fried".
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having. In other cases, these things do require additional parts to fix. But I can help you with that as well.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 30 full seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot.
Do not press anything else during that minute. If this does not cure the issue, oftentimes the reset procedure needs to be repeated several times for it to force a reboot.

_____

This clears up the issues you're having 90% of the times, but in the rare case that it does not, the problem goes deeper than a software issue, and the Kindle would require repairs, or replacement. If you choose to repair the device, you can contact the folks at the link below, as they are a Kindle repair service:

http://www.missionrepair.com

Alternatively, given that a typical repair runs about $80-$100, it may be more cost effective to purchase a refurbished Kindle from Amazon (since they start at around $70). You can still download your purchased books onto the new device without having to buy them again.

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=8497978011

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need further help once you are able to see my reply.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure how long you've held the power button for, but to fully reset it, it needs to be held at least 30 seconds to have any effect. However if that is what you've already tried- and the screen is still frozen, then there is nothing left on a user level that you can try- since you cannot access any settings unless the screen is responsive.