Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Need to at rid of old work-domain. 't remember Password.

Customer Question

Need to at rid of old work-domain. Don't remember Password.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
tough book Was used for my old Job and I cant wipe it to use for my new job because it has old work domain and ask for password. I would just like to wipe it and start fresh.. There is nothing on it In worried about losing
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Remote Tech Support. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hello Dare,

If it is not possible to connect to the old domain and there is no other administrator password ***** up on the Toughbook, then your only option is to format the hard drive and reinstall the OS.

First though you could try Safe Mode - press F8 right after the BIOS screen, sometimes no password ***** ***** and it will let you in that way; other than that, you will need to reinstall the OS.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can get on the tough book but I can change anything do to the old work domain. I got rid of the domain name but it's asking for password ***** make changes I want to wipe it and start fresh but I need the password
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
they downgraded my FZ-G1 toughbook to windows 7 enterprise. How do I get it back to Windows 8?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

To upgrade to Windows 8.1 (recommended version), use the Upgrade Assistant:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=261871

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay so I can't get the free Windows 10 because my tough book was downgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 7 enterprise.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

You can still get Windows 10 if that is the version you want - simply upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - it will pop up as a free option once you reinstall Windows 10 and install all of the Windows updates...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It tells me that Windows 7 enterprise won't upgrade for free.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Ok, I see that Windows 10 Enterprise can only be upgraded as part of volume user's existing Software Assurance benefits.

So if you need to use Windows 7 Enterprise then the upgrade won't be free.

If you have a different Windows license available from another computer that you don't use then you could transfer that one to the Toughbook and upgrade from it instead.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Shouldn't my toughbook have the Windows 8 license for me to install that back on it? If so how do I go about getting it back on there ?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

How was it originally installed?

Do you have the install discs and license paperwork?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No. It was about a year ago and I can't find it. My wife thinks it was I the box the threw away.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Ok, then your options are more limited - to get Windows 10 you will need to pay for the upgrade from the Enterprise version.

Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi, just checking in on your question. How did things turn out for you?