Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

We have a model number 1403. We know this is discontinued

Customer Question

we have a model number 1403. We know this is discontinued but we would like to fix the issue we have. The machine stopped stamping the workers cards today and flashes E31
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: You push in the punch card and nothing happens. It punched everyone in fine today. We changed the ribbon but that didn't help. The machine is cycling between the normal time display and E31
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Technician should know?
Customer: What the E31 error code means and how to fix it
JA: OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I presume you mean this model:

http://timeclockworld.com/Simplex-1403-9110-Centennial-Payroll-Time-Recorder-Clock.aspx

That is a Simplex model 1403-9110, and error codes for it are not listed in any source I can find.

Since the punch / print action does not trigger on inserting a card, I suspect it's as simple as either:

A. The switch (whether a 'solid' or mechanical switch, or an optical (beam interrupted) switch) is not triggering, or is 'broken'.

or

B. the switch triggers, but the control circuitry and/or the relay triggered by that switch, is not working. So that relay does not activate the punch/print action.

You might have to locate a Simplex tech in your region... if you're not in a hurry, you could advertise on craigslist.com for one, to advise you in more detail.

(If this answers your question and completes the case as far as you are concerned, please rate my answer. Thanks.)