Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

Got a 765 that has started jumping in freq. jumps 22 cycles

Customer Question

Got a 765 that has started jumping in freq. jumps 22 cycles up the band without changing the display. Sometimes it will jump back after a while. I suspected the pll board in the beginning but. when it jumps, it is consistent on all bands not just a few. got any ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Thats about it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electronics Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. I am an Expert in the Consumer Electronics category. If you feel this is not the best category for your question, let me know and I will forward it to the appropriate group of Experts.

Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

Can you clarify what model you are referring to as "a 765"?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Icom IC-765. I am thinking reference oscillator due to the fact that there are trimmers on the pll board that control 2 to 3 bands at a time. This freq jumping when it occurs is on all bands......

I would agree, as.long as there is no other indication of the frequency jumping - meaning you don't actually see any changes, but you know they are hapenning.

Do you already have a schematic?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can get a schematic easy enough

Is this something you would like to troubleshoot on a board level and repair yourself? I will provide you with whatever assistance I can.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am ok at board level to a certain point but, I do lack the proper bench gear to get fully involved. i.e. scope and sig. gen.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It would be great if we can fix this or even narrow it down to a single board that a tech could repair but, that ain't going to happen. Shipping a 55 lb. radio is just too much. What can I say, I am an analog man ..........

I don't blame you. Many people have no idea that there are some significant benefits to analog in almost all contexts. Let me see if I can find a schematic.

Well, that certainly didn't take long. I haven't looked at it yet, but here is a link to the service manual for reference.

http://bitli.es/WoDgsF