Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My Sony COMPACT DISC RECORDER RCD-W500C is going into error

Customer Question

My Sony COMPACT DISC RECORDER RCD-W500C is going into error after approximately 5 to 7 minutes of burning a new recording. It's about 14 years old and I am a very active musician in Oklahoma. This happened before 4 years ago and was repaired with a new CD drive. It looks like I've got a repeat. Can you help?
Dave Golden
OKC, OK
(Phone # ***** request)
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Hi Dave and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do repairs all the time. If you guys think this machine just needs a new CD drive/burner on the B side, then yes, I have total confindence that I can change it out.
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Great on the DIY Dave!

Possible suspects after a review of the Service Manual are:

• • low or missing DCV (least likely);
  • • failing spindle and/or traverse motor (likely);
  • • weakened optical pickup (most likely).

Foremost check (even if just to eliminate as suspects) would be to test for the presence and consistency of the DC voltages to the CD recorder deck particularly the +5V.

Might an electronic copy of the repair/Service Manual be of interest? ...per site policies, there would be a token fee as it would be an additional service.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Louie,
Since this machine is 14 years old, it would probably wise on my part to ship it to you for a rebuild. Another problem that i did not mention before is the A side, with the 5 CD changer, which I seldom use, will reject any inserted CD. Maybe I should buy a laptop with a new burner. Your thoughts?Dave
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

As a tech; repairs would be foremost however, as a user it would be to your advantage to evaluate other options considering cost of repair, down time, cost of shipping, age, parts availability and comparable prices of newer/better models. It would appear that both decks are exhibiting major faults.

On the other hand, a burner + laptop with appropriate app/utility software would serve the purpose (nicely).

Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Hi again Dave,

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.