Rod, Systems Engineer
Experience:  FCC Commercial Licenses, BSCS, ASEET, 40+years Electronics & Communication Systems
14090506

Is it easy to replace the tube, not the 6146 but the single

Customer Question

Customer: is it easy to replace the tube, not the 6146 but the single tube in the Kenwood ts-520
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm just starting to replace parts this rig is 40 years old, everything seems to be working though
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electronics Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Rod replied 1 year ago.

Hi -

I'm Rod and I will be happy to help you with this. Is this a 520 or a 520S? There is a little difference. Replacing the tubes is not hard; however, if the unit is functioning - there would be no need to replace them at this time.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the 520 and the 12by7a
Expert:  Rod replied 1 year ago.

Hi -

As I mentioned - it is not difficult to replace the tubes. If you do need to replace them. You must remember to neutralize the finals when you replace those.

Do you have a copy of the service manual? I can provide you with an electronic photo copy if you desire.

If it is properly working - I do not recommend replacing anything.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but do you have to neutralize the finals on the one tube on the drive?
Expert:  Rod replied 1 year ago.

Hi -

I see you just want to replace the driver - low power output?

You do not have to neutralize the output tubes if you are not replacing them. When pulling the tube out - grasp by the base and gently wiggle while pulling up.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any alignment or does it go in only one way?
Expert:  Rod replied 1 year ago.

Hi - there is an alignment but it is by the tube pins. If you look at the base, there is a gap between the pins. That is how you align to socket.

Thanks,

rod