John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!
23822421

I have a Coby 315-4G mp3 player. I need a users manual to

Customer Question

I have a Coby 315-4G mp3 player. I need a users manual to configure it. I have loaded mp3s and they are garbled, like underwater when played. I am wondering if the FM program is interfering and want to know how to separate FM from MP3s.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Those thing don't really need to be conficured, they should work out of the Box. Did you try to play mp3 from different sources? Was some of those mp3s working before on that player. Also make sure you have a well charged battery. The player also support .wma audio files, does the problem still happen with those? Is it doing it with a different set of headphone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have another player that is Coby 301-2G. It does not have the FM function and plays mp3s very well. I bought the one in question from Amazon, it was listed used but perfect condition.... it did not have a manual in it. I am wondering if it is pass coded from previous owner. My mp3's are loaded from my desktop with the usb connection. It is frustrating and it seems like music is garbled. I am thinking that it is playing over some FM frequency.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have discontinued making these.:-(
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Believe me, the FM function have nothing to do with it. An underwater effect usually come from a lack of bandwith in the numerical stream, meaning a low bitrate. That can be cause with a software decoding problem, an electrical porblem in the amplification stage just before the output or by a connection to the headphone jack that is not complete but very close to be so it act like a capacitor and filter some harmonics out. If you can test it with a wma audio file it would help to reduce the possibility of problem. Here is a link for a wma audio file to test:

https://archive.org/download/Test.-wma-music/LoveComes.wma

It is the last one in the download option. Let me know how this one play.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All are 128 bit rate. Maximum allowable volume is 32.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

The bitstream of the file and how the decoder interpret it is two different thing. Please report me how the wma file i linked is doing.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

ho, and another thing, what is the quality of a radio reception on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New battery, new ear buds, sounds like divided stereo track. Nutz, throwing it away.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

That is with the sample file i linked also? What about the sound of the radio stations?