Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Bearcat 220 Static in speaker like someone on a portable

Customer Question

Bearcat 220 Static in speaker like someone on a portable radio with a "Wind" noise in the background! Took apart sprayed entire chasis with EC and did the same with the volume and squelch switches with no success! Had it for several days and it didn't do it til about the 5th day! Any suggestions?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It ran for about an hour after I cleaned it with CC and it came out of it!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That model would seem to be a classic, fairly old. And all fairly old electronic devices get a lot of dirt accumulating inside them. Having cleaned it all away (apparently), it only took several hours of the CC or EC cleaner (whatever it was) evaporating completely, to get the cleaning job done.

Next time you might want to let it 'dry' or 'air out' after such thorough cleaning, for a while longer.

Static is usually either from poorly tuned-in radio signals (with some signal beyond the sideband coming in, which signal-beyond-sideband would be static, of course), or from filter capacitor failure. How dirt enters into this picture... is by shorting out capacitors, perhaps, by providing a conductive path between their two leads. And it cannot be good for old-fashioned filtering circuits at all... dirt clinging to small RF inductors is bound to alter their qualities.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.