John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!
23822421

I have a new turntable and I'm hearing noise in between

Customer Question

I have a new turntable and I'm hearing noise in between songs; kind of like a scraping noise or the sound of blowing into a straw or tube.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first ;

Is this the first time you own a turntable or buy and play albums ?

Are these albums new or older from the 70`s for example ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Brand new turntable, I haven't had one since I was a teenager back in the 80's. These are all new albums
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

O.k then reason for asking is that I wasn`t sure if you were aware of the fact that even with brand new albums there will always be some background noise/sound from the needle riding the groove , you cannot escape that and this of course will get worse with wear of the stylus and scratches on the album .

Now does it really sound abnormal sounds in between songs and only between songs , like the music is normal ?

Remember that this is not analog like the old type of turntables but digitally processed background noise

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

I guess that what I`m asking is if the music comes out clean but the background noise is abnormally high ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would say abnormally high. This doesn't sound like just the minimal noise you would hear between songs with the needle riding the groove. It can also be heard at the beginning or end of a song if the music is quiet or minimal. If the song is playing, it sounds great.
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

I`m sorry but I don`t think I can help you here in this context and I will opt out.

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.

Just stand by and someone should be with you shortly .

Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. Are you using the USB or the RCA outputs? Does the sound remain the same on both?