Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

, I have a panasonic smr-ez28.. it stopped recording tv

Customer Question

Customer: Dave
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a panasonic smr-ez28.. it stopped recording tv or anything for that matter. When i put in a recordable disk it says stuff like not supported or no disk. These are disks that I have recorded with recently. I tried cleaning the sensors and still nothing.. It plays regular dvds though
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Consumer Electronics Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, how long has the Panasonic DMR-EZ28 been in use please? And would you say that the recording function has been used rather often?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not sure how long... Quite a while I would say and yes I use the recording function almost everyday
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

I understand.

The described symptom, what has been tried (cleaning) and taking into account the age of the unit as well as its usage would almost always point to a weakening / about to fail laser reader, the optical pickup.

The prescribed approach is repairs; i.e. replacement of the traverse ass'y or at least the optical pickup.

The Service Manual prescribes a test on how to determine if the laser indeed has gone bad and therefore would confirm that repairs are needed.

Would excerpts from the Service Manual on how to perform this test serve your need then?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
excerpts would be helpful.
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

The test would have to be done while inside the Service Mode. Please click HERE on the procedure to enter Service Mode.

Inside the Service Mode, the procedures HERE would allow tests on the laser.

Again, this is a test to confirm laser functionality.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i got the NG display. Which states that the power value study has failed. What now?
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

This confirms an internal hardware issue.

If comfortably able and feel safe to do so, are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Great on the DIY!

As new, the DVD drive P/N VXY2010 is NLA (no longer available) even from Panasonic/Encompass. Please click HERE. A potential source for a refurbished part is HERE but currently is out of stock.

A hopeful alternative is to have a 3rd party perform the "surgery" and just replace the laser of the DVD drive.

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.