Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC
59725966

I have a insignia dvdvcr product from your company it has

Customer Question

i have a insignia dvdvcr product from your company it has stopped working issue is when i record something it will not play on another device ie computer or dvd player this one has stopped working and i have a lot of dvd's that will not work on any thing else
what do i do ?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the model number, please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
NSDVDVCR
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

I need the exact model. Is it perhaps NS-DRVCR? or is it NS-DVDVCR?

Will it not play back any discs? Or will it play back some just not ones that you recorded on it previously?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
MFNG###-##-####FACT ID E225515 MODEL #NS DVD /VCR
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I DON'T DO TEXTING
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for confirming, but you are indicating NS-DVDVCR which is a playback device only. It is not capable of recording to dvds, so your question is a bit confusing. That player can't record a dvd, so what exactly is the problem with it?

I understand if it is not playing dvds, but your comment about other devices not playing dvds either doesn't make sense in this context.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
IT Has recorded on dvds and played back lately if i take a dvd recorded on there it will not play on any other device and currently does not even play dvds purchased form retailers
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

I think you may be giving me the wrong model number then, because the NS-DVDVCR model is simply not capable of recording dvds, it is a playback device only.

Now if you have the NS-DRVCR model, then that can record also.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

In either case, however, this type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the original question is why can i not play them on other devices
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Because, these recorders are recording in a format that only they can play back. The files are essentially coded/encrypted to work on this same unit it was recorded on, only. This is the case with most all standalone dvd recorders, and is a known limitation of this type of device, regardless of brand/model.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
strange because some of them i can play on my computer most no and i hate to lose the movies
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

It really depends what the content is, some computers can play them, some cannot, most other standalone dvds cannot.

This is partially dependent on the type of disc used. If it is a dvd-r, it may work on other things, dvd+ or rw discs won't, and discs that are not "finalized" will not work anywhere else.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.