Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Panasonic sa ak 520 cd player and it skips a lot.

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic sa ak 520 cd player and it skips a lot. try cleaning with a disk and it still skips.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having.

Follow the steps below to determine and attempt to cure the issue.

You can try several methods of cleaning the laser lens to see if it helps clear up the problem. Try purchasing a can of compressed air (available at PC or AV retailers). Insert the spray tip of the can into the disc slot, then spray the can approximately 10" from the lens to blow any dust off of it.

If it still doesn't work, you can opt to clean the lens eye itself, by using isopropyl alcohol, and a lint-free cloth to gently wipe the "eye". You would need to dismantle the machine to access the laser lens by removing the screws on the sides and rear of the player and removing the top cover. Then use a dry spot on the cloth to buff the eye clean.

If the CD player is still not reading discs, then the lens or transport mechanism is faulty and would need to be replaced- which is on average a $150 repair, and not typically cost effective.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.