Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC
59725966

Our Sony CFD-E100 CD player has started playing only the

Customer Question

Our Sony CFD-E100 CD player has started playing only the first 10 to 12 songs then shuts off. Happens omn all discs. How can we salvage it?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Does it turn off entirely (powers off)? Or does it seem to stay on but the disc stops?
Will it power off if just on radio mode?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Stays on but display goes to "00" .
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for confirming.

That is not an issue with the lens that cleaning can help, it is a defect in the transport mechanism. There is no "fix" for that, as this is a 14 year old model, there are no parts available for it, and it would cost you $150+ to have it repaired at the component level. You could buy a brand new portable cd player for a fraction of that, which is really the only practical option here.

I can recommend some replacements if you'd like though.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.