Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC
59725966

How reliable has the 4311ic been compared to other denon

Customer Question

how reliable has the 4311ic been compared to other denon receivers and what is the frequent problem or repair?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 12 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Ken.

I can't give you documented statistics, but I can give you anecdotal evidence as an authorized denon dealer/installer and from a repair perspective.

Overall, this model has been very reliable, I've only seen a handful of failures, and those were related to the ethernet adapter. It is one of the CI series, so it is highly capable, and well built (one of the few receivers with most parts made in Japan, not China), but it is now past the warranty period, and parts wouldn't be readily available if something should happen.

$700 is also pretty high, I wouldn't consider it to be worth more than about $500-600 tops at this point. If you're willing to spend $700, you may as well up it a bit and invest in a brand new model with a fresh warranty that will continue to have regular updates. The comparable current model you can get refurb for about 1100: http://amzn.to/1NOaZpY

You could get a used model cheaper, if that is what you wanted: http://amzn.to/1P0zy3V

Do you actually need 9 internal channels? If not, you could get by with a 3311 or one of the current http://amzn.to/1P0zGjU

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
thanks Nathan, how long are parts generally available for a modern receiver like a pioneer or a denon and would the Ethernet issue ( and the parts to fix it ) you eluded to be readily available. If parts for receivers are only available for three or four years then would it better to buy separate components, amps, tuner , dvd/cd player etc? I am really primarily trying to put together more of an audiophile ( very high sound quality ) type system. I don't mind paying more especially if the overall heart of the system is going to last a lot longer and can be sustained longer. I know this a hard question to answer but this is where I am and I don't want to buy disposable stuff ( that is only going to last three years or less is disposable to me ). I have a pioneer receiver that I bought in 1976 and it still works (:-)
Expert:  Nathan replied 12 months ago.

5 years is a typical timeframe for service,

for the ethernet issue, it wouldn't even be worth fixing, you'd be looking at buying a new main board which would cost as much as a new receiver.

This is just a receiver though, so it is already a "separate system", it just has an integrated amp and preamp/controller.
You could break that out with a separate preamp and amplifier system, which adds quite a bit to the cost and is not necessarily any more reliable.

Expert:  Nathan replied 12 months ago.

I’ve attempted to accept your call request, but it appears to have failed on your end due to a payment issue. You may need to increase your deposit or clear a security hold on your account. I’ll resend a new phone offer from my end that may be more readily processed.