Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC
59725966

I have two sony compact disc players CDP--CX300 and CX-220.

Customer Question

Up until now I have used the 300 exclusively. It has now given me trouble. I cannot open the door it squeaks and half opens. It also does not play.
I could ditch this and use the 220 but it is difficult to access. It is built into a piece of furniture.
My question is - is there Sony support in my area -Philadelphia or will any electrician do
since I assume it means pulling the 220 out of a cabinet and reconnecting it to the electrical wiring. I don't see how the 300 can be repaired or can it?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately this is most often a hardware failure (bad motor, worn gear, loose belt, etc in the ejection mechanism, faulty switch or sensor, or just an obstruction by a disc that is out of place)

There are a few things you can try:

First unplug power for at least an hour, then press and hold the power/on button while plugging back in, and keep holding for another 60 seconds. If it still doesn't open, repeat the process but with the eject button instead of power.

If it still does not open, pick the unit up and shake/tilt the player side to side gently, hopefully dislodging the stuck disc inside that could be preventing it from opening, then try to open again.

If none of these help, then there is an internal hardware defect, which will need to be repaired.

If it gets to that point, I can advise you on service options. In general though, these units cannot be fixed (discontinued, no parts available), and are much more cost effective to replace than to repair.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You can't buy new ones anymore as it is a 15 year old model at this point, but you can get a used one still, if you wished: http://amzn.to/1OkF1Om

Overall, it may make more sense to digitize your collection at this point. It would take some time, but you can "rip" all your cds on your computer, then put all that music onto an ipod and play it all through your system that way.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.