Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

We bought a Mini Component System, Sharp CD-DH950P a few

Customer Question

We bought a Mini Component System, Sharp CD-DH950P a few weeks ago. The radio began within a day or so shutting down after 15 minutes. If restarted, it did it again. We assumed we had screwed up in doing the setup and my husband went back to the store to ask for help. They said if he had cleared all settings and then left it unplugged overnite (which he had done - as indicated in the manual) and it continued to do it, it was something wrong in the system itself. They replaced it for us. We brought the new one home, plugged it in, went to the station we wanted and turned it on. It did the same thing. The only thing it is interacting with is our electric and our antenna. Since it actually turns off, I'm assuming its not the antenna and since the electric thruout the house continues to not be a problem, I'm assuming it isn't the electric. WHAT IS IT AND HOW DO WE MAKE IT WORK PROPERLY?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, have you tried another outlet? ...and please confirm "SLEEP" function is not enabled nor is it displayed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we tried another outlet. Using the manual that came with the unit, we have cancelled the sleep function over and over again and it doesn't work. My husband, this morning found info in the manual called the "Auto power off function" but there was no information about how to turn it off.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

The Sharp CD-DH950P will auto power off if it detects 'no signal'; i.e. no radio station, audio source has stopped.

Does the "...shutting down after 15 minutes..." happens when just listening to a particular radio station? ...or listening to CD, USB or TAPE ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only the radio
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only the radio but we can receive on another radio and there is no lapse in signal
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for getting back and interesting!

Is the front panel's "TIMER" indicator lighted up?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No, however we tried another station on the radio in question and it continued to play for 45 minutes with no problem. Switched back to the regular station and it played 15 minutes and turned off. Is there anyway we can disconnect the auto power off? The other radio we have does not have it and we have no trouble with that station?
Expert:  Louie replied 12 months ago.

Unfortunately, no. The auto-power off is hardwired to the system.

Ensure that the Sharp is connected to antennas or if yes, try better antennas. Another try is to relocate the CD-DH950P or even just re-orient hot it is positioned. In some instances, merely using another outlet may also help.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
We have it attached to our TV antenna tower. We did try another outlet and it didn't make any difference.
Expert:  Louie replied 12 months ago.

Hi again Gail,

Sorry but I have no more ideas to propose. Hopefully another member can provide an alternate approach or even a second opinion to your concern. The question would be re-opened as I would be opting out.

Still, good luck with the Sharp.