Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I'm having issues with my Yamaha MG16XU. reason, I'll have

Customer Question

Hey guys? I'm having issues with my Yamaha MG16XU. For some reason, I'll have the delay set perfectly, and the reverb just simply stops altogether. I can't seem to figure out any rhyme or reason to it. It's maddening! Please, any suggestions or ideas what might be going on? I'm getting desperate!
Category: Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry. I said I'll have the DELAY set and then the REVERB stops. I meant to say REVERB both times. But we tested all the other channels, and even the distortion and phaser setting simply were not working at all. It wasn't just a single reverb setting or delay either... All the effects appear to stop responding altogether.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue or more particularly, possible suspects after a review of the Service Manual are:

• • low or missing secondary V+ (+12VA and/or AN-VDDA) (least likely);
  • • faulty ECM51 and/or ECM52 and/or any of the multiplexers ICM51 / ICM52 or even the stereo imagers (likely);
  • • cold solder (most likely).

All of the above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.

If comfortably able and feel safe to do so, are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a multi-meter or soldering iron. Does that mean we're pretty much stuck? I don't know how confident I am DIY, but willing to try. Is there anything we can do to try and narrow down the possibilities of what's wrong.I will also mention this: The reverb (or any) effect, when it seems to disappear, is actually still there but not being applied to the signal path (vocals/instruments coming through the channels). We realized this by selecting the distortion preset, cranking it up. The vocal signal coming through was clean, but we could hear that the "air" was being distorted, but not getting applied to the vocal part coming through the board. This was true for the AUX out (which we are using for monitors) as well as the Main Outs.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, no external factor(s) can cause the described symptom. The Yamaha would have to be opened up even if just for exploratory checks and/or circuit, controls/switches cleaning using compressed air or better yet, plastic safe / non-staining DeoxIT DN5 or LPS 03116 Contact Cleaner or equivalent to clean but allow sufficient drying time.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.