Joe
Joe, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto, Marine and Home Electronics professional. iphone, bluray and home theater setup and repair.
20508815

My ativa md 400 is not shredding. Steps: Plugged shredder in

Customer Question

Good day. My ativa md 400 is not shredding.
Steps:
Plugged shredder in and set to auto.
Green light is on
Inserted 1 sheet
No response from the shredder. No motor sound, nothing.
Tried inserting paper in the paper sections and then tried inserting paper in the credit card section. Got no response.
Note: when I set it to reverse, the reverse works.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Hello and good afternoon,

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Check on the rim that the button (if equipped) on the underside is positioned on the correct side of the basket/can (if equipped, this is a safety switch to make sure it is only used on the can) short of this you would then need to test that safety switch and the object switch that senses when paper/object is inserted to find out which has failed, or if the device is less than 1 year old and or under any warranty then you would want to contact the manufacture or the store you purchased it from for possible repair/replacement.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joe,
The button on the underside is positioned on the correct side and has been since I bought it. i have not changed anything since I bought it. It's been working for over a year however just stopped shredding.
I was attempting to find the sensor to see if the sensor was dirty or blocked or something but I don't know where to look. and have not been able to find the sensor.
The warranty has expired , don't have that option.
Thanks for trying to help.
You may consider the issue closed.
Have a good day. - Sandra -
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sandra,

The switch I was referring to would be near impossible to test without taking the housing apart to expose the actual switch and test the electrical wiring.

Thanks,

Joe