Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC
59725966

I have a 3rd gen Kindel Fire 4 gig that powers down when the

Customer Question

I have a 3rd gen Kindel Fire 4 gig that powers down when the power level drops below 40%. Can you tell me what the issue is and how to fix it.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up, and let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Let me know the results,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Powering down didn't help. Tablet will not turn back on until power is back up above 40%. Device tries to turn on but it only gets to where it says Kindle Fire then shuts down. This has been an issue since first purchased.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I wasn't asking you to just power down, but to follow this specific reset process.

If it does not help, then it would indicate a faulty battery, which would need to be replaced as it isn't properly taking/holding a charge and is reporting the charge levels incorrectly.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

The battery can be replaced; you can get a kit with the tools and a new battery for about $40: http://amzn.to/1R2jeA8

But, given the chances of damaging the kindle during the replacement process, and the costs, it will usually make more sense to replace it entirely. You can get a brand new and updated kindle (with a new battery) and a fresh warranty for $10 more: http://amzn.to/1Sgxd3J

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I tried to power it down it turns off long before I get to 20 sec. I never saw a tree of any kind.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

It may be that the battery is low already and needs to be charged further. It won't hurt anything to plug it in overnight to fully charge, then repeat the process.

You may not see the tree, but it will go black and then start back up on its own if you keep holding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1gHgwli

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.