Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

I have a XE-A505 cash register. Why does it keep saying

Customer Question

I have a XE-A505 cash register. Why does it keep saying "paper empty" when the papers are there always? How does the cash register sense the paper?
Peter
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I can help you with your question.

What type of paper are you using? Please be as precise as possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Office Depot, Thermal Paper rolls, 1-3/4 in x 230 ft.

Thank you. I just wanted to make sure that you were using the thermal paper.

Make sure that the papers loaded correctly which would be to have the paper coming from underneath the role and then up over the paper guide and then back down into the printer and then back up again. There is a diagram of that on page 10 of the manual. Here is a link to that:

http://bitli.es/K8nLtG

Also, make sure the journal receipt paper is loaded – that's the roll on the right.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of course, I installed the paper correctly and I have been using the same machine for the last several years without any problem. However, this trouble happened recently and it never goes away no matter what I do. This problem is, I believe, something other than the paper installation issue. Where is the paper detection sensor (exact location diagram) ? What's the mechanism of sensing the existence of printer paper?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As I'm sure you know, I have no way of knowing how long you have used this register or how Many times you have put paper in it.

There is a test you can do that will tell you if the sensor is faulty.

1 Key operation 106 PO

2 Details of the test The paper end sensor status and the head-up sensor status are checked.

3 Display/Print

You should see 3 ones displayed.

I actually have the service manual that I can upload for you if you think that would be helpful. Let me know and I'll do that and give you a link.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please upload the service manual along with its link ASAP so that I try that. Besides, can I only get one answer at a time after waiting one or two days each time? Thanks.Peter.

Sorry. I wasn't working on Sunday.

Here is the link to my skydrive:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6531C5E083B5BD4D!9712&authkey=!ADKAvioWbOi3yAA&ithint=file%2cpdf

I would appreciate a moment of your time to rate my level of service using the okay, good, or excellent rating icons.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the service manual now. So, I am going back to the 1st question I asked to you: What am I supposed to do to correct the "PAPER EMPTY" trouble when the paper is there and installed properly? After 4-5 days of talking and waiting process with you, you still didn't give me a single useful answer yet! Do you want me to start my question all over? Check the website yourself to see how many Sharp CR users are having exactly the same trouble. If you really understand the problem, you should realize that this is not a simple paper presence or installation problem, and your answer must be more thorough and comprehensive. Keep in mind that all CR users in the outside world have their businesses to run, and they don't have time for chatting with someone in unproductive way. Make your advise worthy of at least $48!

Okay, so the service manual was not helpful to you? I had suggested that you test the paper sensor but I cannot be of any help to you if you do not cooperate. I am fully aware that people have businesses to run. I do not base my answers on information from random users on the Internet. You can select any problem and look it up on the Internet and get the impression that many people have the same problem. Trust me, I've been doing this for a long time. The best approach is a methodical one. And that approach is spelled out in extraordinary detail in the service manual. And yes, it is either a. An installation problem or B. A sensor problem. We have ruled out that it is an installation problem since you have done it many times successfully. We have not ruled out a sensor problem. A sensor problem is, in fact, the only other possibility. There is absolutely nothing else on the register that would cause it to tell you that the paper is out when it's not. If you simply do not want to accept the information that I'm giving you for some reason, I can opt out and you can wait for a different expert. And, if I were uncertain of what I'm saying at all, I would be honest with you and tell you I don't know. However, I believe if I opt out and you wait for someone else you're just wasting your time. This is a sensor problem. If you do not have time to troubleshoot it yourself, you can have someone come in and troubleshoot it and replace the sensor in one day. I'm not sure what more you would like me to do. I don't have a magic solution for you. You must run those tests to troubleshoot which sensor is causing the problem. Then that sensor will have to be replaced.

Please keep in mind, that I am spending my personal time helping you as well. I would not be wasting my time if I didn't think I had the correct information for you. I'm not paid for this personal time without a favorable rating. So,I'm obviously giving you this time in good faith, hoping that we can cooperate to get to the solution. If you would like to continue,It would be best to leave emotion and insult out of the conversation and we can discuss the facts. It's possible that you are insulting me so much, you are missing the point of what I am telling you. I did not send you the service manual for no reason. I sent you the service manual because it has the precise information in extraordinary detail that you need.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you explain how the sensor detect the paper presence? Where is the physical location of the paper detection sensor?Peter

Peter, that should be in the service manual. I would run the sensor test rather than trying to get to the sensor first. But they are between the platen and the paper surface.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then, would you explain to me why the CR tells me that the paper is missing even when the paper is there (using the info on the service manual)? And, as a result, what do you suggest to correct the problem and make the CR function as before? I am not either an electrical or an electronic engineer and I don't have any testers. Please take a picture of the paper detection sensor and attach it to this message. Your statement "...the service manual has the precise information in extraordinary detail." would not give me answer what I can follow. I am only one of many CR end users who is running a business.Peter