Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My onkyo a9000r stereo amp, switches on, but no display and

Customer Question

Hi, my onkyo a9000r stereo amp, switches on, but no display and no sound, I think the clunk that it usually makes is slightly more quiet, 20 kg paper weight at mo.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, the described symptom almost always points to an internal hardware issue. Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiAt this point in time, I do not have access to either a multimeter or soldering iron, but if need be I could get them, do you have any suggestions, the amp has Been used for 10 months in total, not very promising, from my first component from this brand.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiYour first answer was very vague, I have already been billed for the full amount, why is this, I am not satisfied yet, so why.
CheersCraig.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

The above was to confirm; "...Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach?..." as it almost always points to an internal hardware issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe a diy solution, my problem is even though the amp is still under warranty, I can't find the receipt, and I know onkyo will mess me around, this is £1200 amplifier.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Great on the DIY!

Please post back with clear closeup pictures of the main power supply section (with the top open towards the front's center). And then also the rear's left side (where the power cord socket is). Click HERE.

The idea is to have a common reference point of potential checkpoints as well as record of which/what part is connected where.

Of particular interest would be for parts that may have signs of heat sress, loose, leaks and others out of the ordinary. Specifically capacitors (with the + or x marks / indentation on their top) including but not promarily the four (4) big ones at the very middle.

Thereafter, voltage measurements of the standby and run voltages based on the pictures/checkpoints.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiIf possible I would like to take a rain check on this one, I have got the amp powering on, but if I get any future issues, perhaps I could get your email, as I haven't really used the service to the tune of £16, my email is***@******.***.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Great! Good to hear that "...got the amp powering on...", congratulations.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi LouieI thought I had fixed my amp, but no, I replaced the fuse, worked fine for a few weeks, then last weekend, it blew another fuse, that was replaced, it was fine for just under a week, at his point in time the only extra information I can give you is that the fuse blows when switching on from stand by, there is a flash inside the unit to signal it has blown the fuse, once powered up it plays fine.I am at my wits end, where do we go from here.all the bestCraig.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Craig and welcome back to JustAnswer,

Thank you for this re-question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, how many speakers are connected to the A-9000R? What are their ratings (specs) please?

Other than internal hardware issue (most likely), the speaker and their wiring may and can cause a fuse to blow (least likely). In some instances, the type of fuse may also be the reason for it to blow up (pre-maturely).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiThe speakers are Mordaunt Short mezzo 6 floorstanding speakers rated 15w to 150w, speaker cable single wire 4mm ofc, terminated with banana plugs, which have be used on different amps with no problem, I think these are unlikely to be the problem as when the amp is switched on from standby, the volume is on minimum without a source playing, not sure if that makes any difference.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Fuse is a direct replacement for the one found in the amp F2.5AL250V.Cheers
Craig.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I understand and the above would confirm the hardware issue.

As posted before...

...Please post back with clear closeup pictures of the main power supply section (with the top open towards the front's center). And then also the rear's left side (where the power cord socket is). Click HERE.

Of particular interest would be for parts that may have signs of heat stress, loose, leaks and others out of the ordinary. Specifically capacitors (with the + or x marks / indentation on their top) including but not primarily the four (4) big ones at the very middle.