Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Can I hook up a powered sub to my optonica sm 3205 amp?

Customer Question

Can I hook up a powered sub to my optonica
sm 3205 amp?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Yes you can- but since this is an older stereo only amp- you need a converter connected to it UNLESS your sub has "speaker level Inputs".

If it has speaker level inputs you will piggy-back a set of left and right speaker wires to the speaker input jacks on the subwoofer.

If the subwoofer does not have jacks with this label, then a "speaker to live converter" must be used.

You will connect a set of left and right speaker wires in parallel with the wires going to your existing stereo speakers- to the converter's "speaker inputs". Then you can use the RCA jack(s) from the converter to connect to your powered subwoofer.

The converter you will need is at the link below for purchase:

https://jet.com/product/detail/d7165bdfb80b4e2ea07690c25849361f?jcmp=pla:ggl:electronics_a3:audio_audio_components_speakers_a3_other:na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=e5bfdd32-2690-4387-b59c-cc7d74cb5cde&gclid=CjwKEAiA64uyBRCVmKyT2vuAjzgSJADfINB658btx5ur4pebUoCrfhdE-koYr5RkykQr3SXETEmR-hoC8Sbw_wcB

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?
If not, could you please click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.