Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Think the driver in my jensen spx -17 sub woofer has decided

Customer Question

Hi guys think the driver in my jensen spx -17 sub woofer has decided to retire . Works fine on initial start up but after a short period in operation starts to emit a series of fairly loud intermittent popping sounds . Done the standard check the cables , connections plugged it into a different power board etc . It is 12 yrs old . Can you confirm my suspicions its time to get a new unit thanks for any info provided. .. Shane
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. Offhand the intermittent popping sounds point directly to the amplifier IC chips failing. More specifically, failing under normal operating voltages/temperatures after initial startup. To fix this would require at least having the IC's replaced (on average a $150 repair), replacing the plate amplifier which is more cost effective, or replacing the powered subwoofer itself- which you can replace for almost the same cost as repairing it- especially since the unit is 12 years old.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.