Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in the field of electronics repair, TV, VCR and computer repair.
11519491

My cdj-400 will scroll to next track but it won't play

Customer Question

My cdj-400 will scroll to next track but it won't play anything but the first song on each cd.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens, though a problem with the transport is likely in this case of working only on the first track. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This problem is the same on both of my pioneer cdj-400's. It's not the laser pickup as it will play a 14 minute song. I read up on-line that it could be a resistor issue. Please never recommend to use a lens cleaning disc on slot loaded cd players. This can damage the lens permanently.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I didn't realize it would play such a long song, but playing just the first tracks can still indicate a transport issue, not the lens itself, but just that it isn't moving.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I am not familiar with a known resistor issue for this model however, so I will opt out and allow another expert to assist you that may be.

Do not rate or reply back at this point as either will hinder another from helping.

Best of luck to you,

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi different expert here I agree with you on the laser cleaner.

I will help you locate the resistor so you can check it. Do you have any electronics experience? And a meter for some testing?

Thanks

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello.I do not have a tester but I do have spare parts and a soldering iron. Im first going to update my firmware . If thats not the problem I will locate the transistor and replace it. I already have another one open for parts. Do you have a schematics? If not ill look it up. This is a $700 piece of dj gear. Not a $40 home cd player.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi thanks, ***** ***** now its a good one.

I will put in a request for the schematic, and help you with this in case it turns out to be something else, as that is always possible.

It may take a day or so for that paperwork, but

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not heard back from you. Please refund my payment. This site almost ruined my player and has been zero help. Been waiting for a schematic...