Richard, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 20 years fixing Electronically devices
32989067

My backup camera Garmin 760 comes on when I turn on my

Customer Question

My backup camera for my Garmin 760 comes on when I turn on my running lights or lights, however, I have no control of the camera function. When I go to the GPS function, it automatically switches back and forth from the backup camera screen to the GPS screen, and I can't just shut off the camera when the running lights or lights are on. How do I fix this, either disable the camera or have it allow me to access it without it automatically jumping from one screen to the other.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

It sounds like it is connected (the camera) to your battery and not the brakelights (which means it only comes on when the vehicles in reverse).

But when the camera is on, press the return arrow on the screen and this then turns it off.

If you press this, does it then turn off? To be helpful I show you the icon in the manual on page 3 here

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/dezl_760_OM_EN.pdf

Let me know please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is hooked up to the lights, and running lights. The camera only comes on when the lights are turned on. When you press the icon to shut it off, it does shut off but then comes back on again, shut it off, comes back on etc, makes it impossible to use the GPS because the camera keeps coming on. When the lights and running lights are off, then the camera stays off.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, that is not normal behavior. Has it done this from the start (as soon as it was installed)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has done it from the start, I just had it professionally installed. I am now on a trip with it and had to take the fuse out of the camera portion so it would stop interfering with the GPS itself. It makes no sense to me.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, either the installation was not done correctly and its cross circuiting that keeps making it start or the Garmin itself is faulty.

Do a factory reset which will remove all data and return the unit to new. To do this, press and hold the lower right corner of the screen and then power the unit on, a dialog will come up asking if you want to "Erase all user data", select yes.

Once done, check if it still has the issue, is so, you will need to have someone to check the installation. Even though it was professionally done, mistakes can still be made.

If the installation is ok, then the unit itself has faulted.

In this case you are going to have to return the Gamin to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

If you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you