Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Telechrone electric clock, Model#;336, Ser#;372064,

Customer Question

I have a Telechrone electric clock, Model#;336, Ser#;372064 B, Volts; 110, Cyc;50(I think), W.; 2. Mantle Clock.
Every time I plug it in. I hear a whining Sound. To me it (the whining) sounds like it needs to be lubricaced, oil or whatever. But after I opened the back. I don't see anything to be oil. Just wunding and no oil ports.
please guid me. Other wise, I may attempt it without guidance.
************
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Electric clocks generally have the hands, or the indicators of time in other form, driven by an electric motor.

If your Telechrone is old enough, the motor (which turns continuously 24 hours a day 7 days a week, all days of the month, etc.) may be getting old. Eventually such electric motors do develop a dry whine or rasp in their workings. This is owing to simple age and 'wearing out'. Such motors are sealed and have no lubrication points. You can tinker with it, try applying a little penetrating oil to the spindle near the seal that protects the interior of the motor (in case that seal is actually not airtight any more, and oil can get into it), but results are not at all guaranteed.

The motor may, eventually, have to be replaced... since that noise in the motor indicates increased friction, the clock may eventually run too slow to be usable, as a result, even aside from the noise.