Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Hand calculators do not work. After being idle months, my

Customer Question

Hand calculators do not work. After being idle for 5 months, my calculators do not work. I put them in the sun so that the solar cell recharges, but doesn't work. One does not start up at all. 2 others the numbers do no show correctly. How do I fix them?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I suggest that you remove the batteries, if any, all of them, from these calculators.

Leave them that way in a moderately warm, dry, dust-free quiet place, for at least 2 days.

Meanwhile examine the batteries, and dispose properly of any that appear old or leaky, for sure.

Solar cells don't 'recharge', by the way, unless the light source is very faint. A solar cell in outdoor light should immediately enable the calculator to be used - unless it is specifically designed to use rechargeable batteries. (?)

Have any of them been dropped or otherwise mishandled?

What maker and model #s are they? perhaps there is a reset button sequence applicable to their being inoperative after months of disuse. (Were any of them left On for that duration?)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will try. The are a not scientific or complex. Just good quality larger desktop type. such as Sharp IL\334A. And some lesser quality ones. Don't know if they were left on or not. No too expensive but have been with me for a while. Curious as to how they are made them disabled. None misahndled. Just in the dark for a long time.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

They *all* don't work? and after only 5 months?

I would think they need the batteries changed, if it was only the non-solar ones.

I myself stored away a solar calculator, a cheap one, in the '80s, for a while, and it still worked after some months or a year or two.

Pressing the C button and holding it down for a few seconds might help, or it might not.

If there is a pinhole in the underside of any of these calculators, try straightening a paperclip and pushing the button hidden inside the pinhole and holding it for a few seconds. That might straighten them out... though *why* they would be defective is hard to see. Were they stored in dim light? that might disorder a solar calculator, some.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. None of those ideas helped. It may have been a year in the dark. Thanks for trying. I will need to dispose of them all. I have no idea what wet wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If any were non-solar, and had a battery that leaked, it might be that the battery terminals are corroded and need cleaning. If that appears to be the case, let me know and I will instruct you how to clean the battery terminals in the calculator properly.

You're welcome.