Neil, Engineer
Experience:  NZ Certificate in Engineering Electronics & Computing 25 years exp
15873252

Received a used icom 1-ic-r2 that will not power on with new

Customer Question

received a used icom 1-ic-r2 that will not power on with new batterys any suggestions
Category: Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
received a used icom 1-ic-r2 that will not power on with new batterys any suggestionswas wondering if perkaps there is a n ic used for a voltage regulator that is known or prone to failure
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Hi

First check the battery terminals and make sure they are clean and shiny, then use a couble of store bought Alkaline non rechargable batteries and tell me how you get on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
done all that bought new batteries 8 pack and tried your suggestion before I got on line have not had any luck will most likeky have to take it appart and look for a burnt trace or chip was hoping that perhaps there might be something that is known to go bad when this symptom is observed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have really nothing invested but it is a neat little receiver and I like to play if it is simple I might give it a go LOL I am a Ham KA5QYO and know just enough to be dangerious
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ic4 a 3.2 regulator ic s-81332h appears to be the first point power could fail what do u think
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Sorry stepped away... Fellow ham here, ZL1BTL

It shouldn't be too hard to follow the voltage path using a multimeter until it disappears, but there are a lot of things that an cause the receiver to just stop, in my experience it is unlikely to be the regulator but it is easy enough to check...