Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant
5229702

In January of this year I purchased a Garmin 910XT watch.

Customer Question

In January of this year I purchased a Garmin 910XT watch. I'd previously had a Garmin 310XT and was happy with it but wanted a few more features the 910XT offered.
In about mid June the altitude display on my 910XT started acting up and now it constantly shows me at an altitude in excess of 30,000 feet, regardless of whether I'm running or cycling, sometimes it reads as high as 37,000 feet even though I am within 25 yards of the sea shore.
S/No on the Garmin 910XT is###-##-####
What's required to cure this problem?
Thank you in advance,
Ian Herron,
Surrey, BC.
Email: ***@******.***
Category: Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be out for most of the afternoon so best way to contact me is by email.Is my Garmin 910St still covered under warranty, it's less than a year since purchase.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

That have been a few posts about this issue across the internet, with some even returning their devices to Garmin for replacement a number or time, only to see the issue return with each replacement - over time.

What I believe is the "fix" for this issue is "cleaning of device" (especially around the barometer sensor holes) with warm soapy water and a clean or unused toothbrush. And of course you should let the device dry off fairly well before TESTING the elevation functions again.

.

The idea is that some "dirt" (sweat, chlorine, river water, etc.) gets into the holes and blocks them up.

.

I will try to get an image of the hole locations for you, but they are on the back edge of the device. From what I understand, it may take a couple of cleanings to get really good (stable) results.

.

Please give that a try and let me know your results.

.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)