Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio/video repair and installation tech.
39158752

My movies on VCRs are losing sound. Is there anything I can

Customer Question

My movies on VCRs are losing sound. Is there anything I can do to save them?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions so could you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?
By the way , this is NOT an answer so there is no need to rate yet.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Do all the movies have a degraded audio ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Jack; just knowing that there might be hope is encouraging. You see, several years ago it became obvious to me that depending on TV to get good quality movies and entertainment was going the way of the dinosaurs. I began collecting decent movies, some that I'm not embarrassed to show. I have a great collection, but recently I pulled one out I haven't watched in a while and could barely hear it. Another, and another turned out the same. Others seem to be okay. It would take me a good long while to go through all of them to check them. So, not all are that way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have yet to get any solution. Am I to pay even if I get no satisfaction?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Yes you are going to get your answer but you are talking to a human being (not a computer) who goes to sleep early sometimes and you replied at 11 PM some 12 hours after my last reply .

Now about your vcr

Although tapes can degrade over time or be affected by magnetism for example , the most common cause for what you described is the vcr itself.

Somewhat like a tape deck the audio heads do need to be cleaned once in a while and a video head cleaning tape will not do the trick.

In any case beside clogged/dirty heads , this can be caused by misaligned tape path , improperly adjusted tape back tension etc.

While a repair shop with an older tech. (like me) may be able to look into this , it may be cheaper and more effective to buy a DVD/VCR combo unit , i don`t think you can find a new VCR alone , they come in combo now

Here are a few examples ;

http://www.walmart.ca/en/electronics/tv-home-theatre/blu-ray-dvd-players/dvd-vcr-combo/N-1531

Or this one ;

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-DVD-VCR-Combos/zgbs/electronics/886258

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you or you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions , thank you .

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

By the way , you could verify that your tapes are ok if you could find another vcr but beside the fact that I would be surprised that all your tapes are affected that way , I`ve repaired quite a few thousands vcr`s in my life and recognize the symptoms