Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Sentry Safe. Identifier: OA 3821, BC692955. I can't

Customer Question

I have a Sentry Safe. Identifier: OA 3821, BC692955. I can't open the safe. I worked fine for about 4 years, but now I can't enter the combination. I replaced the batteries twice. It worked for a short while and then once I noticed that the illumination of the dial was on when I didn't touch the safe. I replaced the batteries again, but now nothing happens when I enter the combination no illumination. I double checked to make sure the batteries were installed correctly. Walter Haslemann-
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that the tendency to illuminate even when not touched for some time, is a clue as to why the safe's combination keypad is not working - the batteries have run down again.

If the keypad illuminates when untouched, then either

A. there's a stuck button on the keypad, triggering the keypad light, which drains the batteries down, and then the keypad doesn't work at all (until batteries are replaced yet again), or

B. the safe is placed so as to have one of the buttons held down by some nearby object? or

C. the number keypad is otherwise defective in a way that drains the batteries and/or turns the light on leading to (A) above.

Solution indicated to all that, if it is true, is to replace the batteries again with new ones. Unfortunately the safe's keypad may be using up batteries too fast. I'm not sure if Sentry would fix that problem for you under warranty if the safe is 4 years old... please tell me exactly (with several months or a half year) how old the safe is, measured from its date of purchase.