Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Louie, I also have a vsx820 and the unit keeps thinking the

Customer Question

Hi Louie,
I also have a vsx820 and the unit keeps thinking the headphones are plugged in. Sound is coming out of the headphones but when I pull them out I head sound from all the regular speakers but then it clicks back into headphones mode; even though nothing is plugged in. :(
I've tried resetting a couple of times and nothing.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, This occurs when the contacts on the headphone jack are oxidized. Unplug the receiver from power, then soak a q-tip in rubbing alcohol, and insert into the headphone jack and spin the q-tip. Do this procedure several times to ensure the contacts are clean. Wait 5 minutes then plug the receiver back in and turn it on. Let me know if you have the same problem.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've cleaned the headphone jack and still the same.
It thinks there are headphones and there are none plugged in. I plug and unplug and no change. I try to reset and I don't know if it's even resetting because it thinks the headphones are still in.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

This is a mechanical issue- the headphone jack has contacts that are no longer making connection to each other when the headphone plug is removed. This requires disassembly of the unit to get at the headphone jack and either manually bend the contacts together, more thoroughly clean the contacts, or to replace the jack itself. You would need to be comfortable working within electronic devices and with small tools in order to fix this yourself. If not, then a shop is going to charge around $150 parts and labor for this repair and can be located at the link below:

www.stereorepair.com

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this?
If not, could you please click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know where I could find a service manual so I could attempt to disassemble and find the loose wire or issue regarding the contacts?
Thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Offhand I don't. You can try Googling your model number and "Service Manual" and see what you can find.