Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

How do you open a sentry R3920 safe that won't open?

Customer Question

Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

If you have entered the correct combination but the safe won't open, then the mechanism may be jammed - try hitting the door with a rubber mallet to help loosen it up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already tried this/ have also put safe on its back, still nothing. I was looking to have you tell me that with a crowbar or with a metal blade and skillsaw I could cut it open without damaging the contents. I need to know where I should cut if necessary, or where on the door I should use a crowbar.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately it is not that easy - these safes are designed to be very secure.

I would recommend getting in touch directly with Sentry to firstly check that you are using the correct combination:

http://www.sentrysafe.com/CustomerCare/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been using this combination for 10 years, it just stopped working. I was looking for some advise on where I would put the crowbar or where it is easiest to cut the safe open without damaging the materials inside.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If the combination has been unlocked but the door is stuck closed then you can try getting the crowbar in close to where the four bolts are - see the following image:

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2013/05/12/1603779_02_2_sentry_14_gun_gun_safes__640.jpg