Martin, Engineer
Experience:  16 years, include works in aluminium plant, industrial machinery, military weapons, programming
14666028

I dropped my color speaker and the control panel popped off.

Customer Question

I dropped my color speaker and the control panel popped off. Now it does nothing even though I pressed it back together. Anything i can try?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I have memories of lot of things with color in the name, do you have a model number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I thought I was talking to Bose. It's the Bose soundlink Color Bluetooth speaker
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

I am indeed not related to BOSE but i expected the device to be a BOSE product. I don't have one with me to inspect how it is made but from online picture it look like the control is a membrane button strip. Perhaps you did not positioned it back perfectly. It might also be a crack on the PCB board (hard to see with naked eyes) or a surface mount chip may have lifted or gone free in the enclosure. Sometime instead of an elastomere button strip, small metalic contact disc-dome are used (like in old atari joystick) and those can slide out of position).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a strip 1" by 1/8"that separated from a slot in the body of the speaker. The strip is attached to the rubber panel that separated from the body when I dropped it. I put the hard part of the strip back into the slot before I closed it but I do suspect that it is the problem
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

It might be. Those rubber strip have a carbon coating for electrical conductivity. If some dust front the floor covered them it might be enough to reduce contact. It is often easier to test them without the top surface on them, that way you can use other button and allign them to test button individually on the contact you want.