Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

A little tech savvy here, but not conversant with lots of

Customer Question

Hi Steve, a little tech savvy here, but not conversant with lots of different formats, I want to upgrade my Bose Lifestyle48 but I need to get my stored music off and onto another hard drive. Bose says you can't but I find that hard to believe since folks on forums are removing the heardrive and replacing it themselves. DO you know of a way to put the music on a portable drive and what I need to do that? I will move it to an iTunes format through my computer to play it. Thanks
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

You can replace a Bose hard drive as long as you set up exactly the same as the original hard drive is set up. The Bose hard drive is formatted as two fat 32 partitions.

The size of the first volume is 29958 MB, and the second volume 8197 MB.
The first volume is set as ACTIVE.

There are 3 folders that MUST be present (DATA, db and MUSIC).

You could try connecting the bose hard drive to a PC, and it should read the FAT32, but I don't think that the music will be in a format that is playable by a generic media player. The only way to know for sure would be to connect it to the computer.

The first volume is set as ACTIVE.