Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I LEFT MY SONY SUB WOOFER MODEL NO SA-500 IN ON POSITION

Customer Question

I LEFT MY SONY SUB WOOFER MODEL NO SA-500 IN ON POSITION WITHOUT ANY MUSIC PLAYING AND WHEN I CAME BACK THE ON/OFF INDICATOR LIGHT WAS OUT AND UNIT NOW DOES NOT RESPOND.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, How long was the unit left on without music playing? Reason I ask is that you probably blew the internal fuse to the subwoofer due to heat if it was left on. To access the fuse you must remove the entire rear of the cabinet to get at the backside of the plate amplifier (where the auto/on switch and connections are located). The fuse will be located within a couple of inches of the transformer and the power cord and would need to be checked with a multi-meter. If the issue goes beyond the fuse (fuse tests good, or replacement fuse does not allow the unit to power up), then the transformer has over-heated and failed and would require replacement which is in the $125 range. For that price you could replace the plate amp with a new one and retro-fit it into the cabinet. The link below is where you can view and shop around for replacement amps to use in the Sony:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-mca2250e-21-channel-class-d-plate-amplifier--300-771

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this?
If not, could you please click a 5 star rating for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.