Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a Quasar VHQ 940 4-head omnivision VHS recorder. It

Customer Question

I have a Quasar VHQ 940 4-head omnivision VHS recorder. It is old, but still works. My problem is that when I attempt to record a program that is on channel 4, the recorder jumps from 3 to 5, or from 5 to 3. I cannot get it to go to 4. Can you help with this?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

This will happen if channel 4 is not tuned in.

Try running autotune to re-tune all channels again.

If that does not work, try manually tuning in the channel, or try using an antenna booster if the signal is weak.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to manually tune the channel more times than I can count. I tried again this morning with no success. It continues to skip channel 4. I have no idea what you are referring to when you say try running autotune. How do I do that?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If manual tuning does not work then autotuning won't work either.

You may not be receiving a strong enough signal for channel 4 - each channel signal will have a different strength, so you may receive some channels but not others.

You will need to try fitting an antenna booster:

http://www.amazon.com/1byone-OUS00-0293-Antenna-Amplifier-Booster/dp/B00IF70TO2/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perhaps I forgot to mention that I was always able to get channel 4 on the recorder in the past. One day I changed to channel 39 for a news program. From that point forward, I was unable to get back to channel 4. So it has worked before and it doesn't now.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Yes, this is a common problem .The strength of the signal can vary due to environmental factors, changes in the position of your antenna, etc.

Try the booster and let me know if it fixes the problem for you :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your response is confusing. When I said I changed to channel 39, you talked about environmental factors and changes in position of an antenna. There is no antenna to change position. Recording on channel 39 and wanting to return to channel 4 is not an environmental change. I don't have a clue what an "antenna booster" is. I am sorry to tell you that your responses have not given me any clues to the problem. I am more inclined to think that because of its age, the recorder's ability to return to channel 4 is an indicator that the entire instrument is beginning to fail. I will pay the $5 deposit, but please do not charge me the additional $23 since nothing has solved my problem.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I would really like to help resolve this problem for you.

The fact that you changed to channel 39 is co-incidental.

The problem that you are experiencing, where a channel that was working previously suddenly disappears, is a common one and is usually caused by the signal strength weakening. You can fix this by boosting the signal again - to do this, simply fit an antenna booster - you can see what an antenna booster is by clicking on this link:

A high rating for my service would be greatly appreciated :)

thanks,

Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, I have been discussing this recorder problem with a good friend of mine. From the beginning, he said I needed to reset the channels. I thought it was a button on the remote until I picked up the manual today and found the section on resetting channels. I followed the directions, reset the channels automatically, did a test record, and finally have channel 4 back. So I think he should get the remaining $23. Since my problem is solved, you do not have to write to me again.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This was the first point I mentioned, where I asked you to re-tune all channels again, but you said it did not work!

Pete.