Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a marantz 661 recorder and a TP-911 telephone record

Customer Question

I have a marantz 661 recorder and a TP-911 telephone record adapter. Can't get the audio right on the recorder. Very low. How do I set the marantz to record with better sound? Same thing happened on a recent deposition (I'm a court reporter and this is new equipment for me). I audiotaped with the marantz using external mics and the sound was very faint. Can anyone help me? Thank you.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, What kind of mics are you using to speak into- are they condenser Mics?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mic is attached to the TP-911 telephone adapter I got from Martel Electronics. I believe it's an XLR. I plug a cord into the phone and the mic into the marantz recorder. I think perhaps the problem is with setting the marantz recorder properly. Confusing.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The reason for the low sound would mean you need a Mic preamp to go between the Mics and the recorder. You would need- not the TP-911 telephone adapter- as Telephone and Mic are completely different impedances and signals. This will boost the signal up to 40 db and give more headroom while recording. The device you'd want to use is at the link below for purchase:

http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-xenyx-1202-mixer-12-input-2-bus--248-582

So Mics into Mixer, and Mixer XLR outs into the Marantz recorder is the solution.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My original question, what settings to use on a marantz 661 to record via telephone adaptor.