Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in the field of electronics repair, TV, VCR and computer repair.
11519491

My Harmon Kardon Onyx speaker keeps failing to charge. I am

Customer Question

my Harmon Kardon Onyx speaker keeps failing to charge. I am on my second one in a week and I just want it to work. I am wondering if a firmware upgrade could possibly help these units, I have them both
Category: Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is what I want to do: I want to repair not replace the speaker. I think I can open the unit up, figure out why it is not charging the battery and repair the connection or device that has failed identically in two speakers. I have my EE, been 10 years since I have worked as an engineer but I tinker all the time, a little help from you and I can fix one of these, maybe. I dont care about the warranty.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Have you tried a different outlet yet? Regardless of whether or not the outlet works for other devices you need to try this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Feddy
Crazy day at shop sorry. I'm down with replacing parts. If I count the HK onyx that I bought for my son, who researched and picked these out, i have bought 3 in a month. His works fine but for how long, I wonder.
To your question, yes I plugged the first Onyx into several outlets in different rooms. There was no change, I push the power button for 3sec, the power LED flashes quickly for 5 secs and then it turns off.
The second Onyx was in a different room when it failed. I also checked to make sure the second Onyx was plugged in using the power supply that came with it and that I didn't get lazy and use the first power supply / cord on both.
So far they seem isolated incidents with exception to the house.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok from the LED this sounds like a power issue. If you wiggle the connection on the port for the speakers does it start to show indications of power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope, no indication of loose connector, and there is 19vdc on the power connector coming from the power supply.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi different expert here, i will be with you in about 30 minute if that is ok?

Thanks

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I missed your reply, I am ready to open this bad-boy up, are you familiar with the HK power circuit or might you have access to their electrical diagrams?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi yes I am familiar with that ;-)

How old is the battery in the unit?

Also is there an indicator light that shows when the unit is charging and if so is it working?

Thank you

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nice to meet Michael
The speaker unit was purchased about 3 weeks ago. I don't know if that is a decent indicator of battery age or not.The indicator light shows low charge on battery, flashes white and quickly, then the unit powers off after 3 to 8 seconds
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

hi Likewise;-)

Thank you for the information. This is not a bad battery. It may be a circuit inside the speaker unit that is the cause of this problem, but it may be a bad charger which is the most likely cause of this issue.

Since the unit is so new, it is still covered even by the store of purchase or whether it be online or in person purchase. Also it is covered for 1 full year under Harmon Kardons full warranty;-)

I would return it to the sotre if possible for a replacement. I could help you to get a new charger but it may be something else and since it is brand new I would personally want a woeking unit from the get go as Im sure you do too.

If this is not the case however please let me know and we can go an different route to fix this one.

I will stick with you until this is resolved one way or the other, as if you have any trouble what so ever with the exchange or the same condition afterwards I can help. Please rate my service to you kindly before closing this page. That will ensure we don't lose contact and then you can reach me anytime by simply replying to this message. Additionally, there is NO COST TO RATE in a kind fashion;-)

I hope this helps if not we will work further on this with you until it is solved and you are a happy camper so to speak lol ;-)

I take my work here very seriously.

Thank you for your patience.

Tech Michael