Rusty
Rusty, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 20 years electronics experience. How may I help you today?
63817454

I am struggling with my Drobo external hard drive system

Customer Question

For some time, it has shown up on my desk top with two Drobo icons….one I had labeled Drobo Volume #1, the other was just the black box that looked like the shinny black Drobo unit.
Sometimes the main one, volume #1, would ‘eject’ and say I had ejected it improperly, even though I hadn’t done so. I unplugged it from the computer, replugged it and it re-mounted. But….not today. I have spent hours trying to figure it out, repeating my ‘little system’ of the past, have written a ‘help message' to Drobo (they have no phone support), reloaded and downloaded what my research shows as the Drobo softwear updater. So…I am essentially, shut down, can’t get to or work on any of my jobs. URGHHHH.
So….do you have ideas…..for remounting, or for someone that I can call for some immediate help?
Tummy Tight Caren Ann, ***@******.*** (###) ###-####
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hello Caren, my name is Rusty. Sorry to hear you're having trouble, that must be very frustrating. Let's see if we can get it working, and get a backup immediately in case your drive is going out.

First, use a different USB cable on a different USB port. Most of the time, a worn out cable or USB hub causes the problem. It will work with some devices, but cannot keep up with the demand of the hard drive.

If you find that the drive is dead, we'll have to go into data recovery, and confirm that your drive is still spinning. When you plug it in and turn it on, can you feel it vibrate to indicate the drive is spinning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It IS still spinning. Since the empty drobo icon cointinues to 'mount' as it has for months, must mean the USB connections are working? It's the 'loaded' with just uner 3T of data Drobo that is no longer appearing. You are an audio tech?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I still make a run to purchase another USB cord/connection while the stores are open?
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

I'm a sound engineer, meaning I need to know how to use not only racks of sound equipment linked together, but also computer peripherals and external hard drives, as well as how to fix them in a pinch. I'm an electronics expert.

Like I said, the drive has a lot of demand, more so than a flash drive, or USB mouse. It needs a good cable in perfect condition, otherwise it can cause it not to function properly. Be sure to use a quality high speed USB cable. That is where to start in the troubleshooting process. You may be able to borrow one from your printer to see if you get any different results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm calling around to see if I can get one inmy area of town. Fingers are crossed...that I can find it close by AND that it does the trick. I just purchased and hooked up the new USB Fire Wire....bummer...nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You just charged me, without the problem being solved. Wah!!!!
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
The site holds a deposit, sorry for the confusion. Click start, control panel, and go to hardware & sond, and select device manager. Click the arrow to the left of disk drives. Do you see your drive there? If so, highlight it, right click it, and select UNINSTALL.
Once uninstalled, plug your hard drive back in. This will renew the driver. Please tell me the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My card has already been charged for the deposit AND the full charge of additional $31
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

I don't handle billing, I answer the questions. I'll help make sure you are taken care of, but it is in my best interest to get your hard drive going. Were you able to locate your drive in control panel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just ordered a new Drob System and can transfer the five disks to it without formatting, when it arrives. Fingers crossed that I am on my way to 'being back in business'!
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

I'm still here to help in case there are any hiccups.